Named in honor of Mary N. Bassiouni, a former politician, humanitarian and women's leader, the Foundation is a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to the empowerment and advancement of East African youth and women, and focuses its efforts on the South Sudanese community in the United States and South Sudan.
Our Vision and Mission
The vision of the Mary N. Bassiouni Foundation is deeply rooted in Mary Bassiouni’s deeply held convictions and belief that you can implement transformative change though principled and visionary leadership. This vision is buttressed in her long-held dream of a world where women – in the Sudan, East Africa and the United States – achieve their personal aspirations and professional goals, and prosper by leading their communities. The Foundation envisages a world where Sudanese/African girls and women are:
- Empowered and equipped to be leaders and effective development agents in the community
- Educationally, economically, socially and intellectually empowered to be leaders in their community
- Equipped with the tools, skills and resources they need to be role models for the nest generation and the community at large
- Healthy, active and protected from harm within or without the community
- Equal contributors in their family roles, regardless of family structure or income
- Provided with equal access to opportunities, skills and resources be independent, self-sufficient and contributing members of the community
- Empowered to learn, lead and empower others in the community
This vision will be realized by continuing Mary N. Bassiouni’s unfinished mission of empowering Sudanese women and advancing their cause within the Sudanese community by translating her thinking, philosophy and principles and her inspirational legacy of public service into action. This will be conducted against the background of the positive, transformative changes taking place in Sudanese and African society at large. While there are many challenges
facing African women and Africans in general, there are clearly encouraging signs of development and greater opportunities to pursue our vision.
We are in the process of developing the new Website so please stay tuned. Sign up by clicking the button and we'll keep you updated.